Madrid Agreement for the Repression of False or Deceptive Indications of Source on Goods
Madrid Agreement for the Repression of False or Deceptive Indications of Source on Goods of April 14, 1891
Madrid Agreement was revised at Washington on June 2, 1911, at The Hague on November 6, 1925, at London on June 2, 1934, and at Lisbon on October 31, 1958 and at Stockholm in 1967.
Tunisia signed Madrid Agreement for the Repression of False or Deceptive Indications of Source on Goods on April 14, 1891. Ratification on June 15, 1892. Entry into force July 15, 1892
According to Madrid Agreement, all goods bearing a false or deceptive indication of source, by which one of the Contracting States, or a place situated therein, is directly or indirectly indicated as being the country or place of origin, must be seized on importation, or such importation must be prohibited, or other actions and sanctions must be applied in connection with such importation.
The Agreement provides for the cases and the manner in which seizure may be requested and effected. It prohibits the use, in connection with the sale, display or offering for sale of any goods, of all indications in the nature of publicity capable of deceiving the public as to the source of the goods. It is reserved to the courts of each Contracting State to decide which appellations (other than regional appellations concerning the source of products of the vine) do not, on account of their generic character, come within the scope of the Agreement. The Agreement does not provide for the establishment of a Union, governing body or budget.
The Agreement is open to States party to the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property (1883). Instruments of ratification or accession must be deposited with the Director General of WIPO.
For more information on Madrid Agreement for the Repression of False or Deceptive Indications of Source on Goods of April 14, 1891 visit the WIPO’s website.
Learn more on :
- Tunisian Trademarks law
- Nice Classification
- Madrid System for the international registration of trademarks
- Nairobi Treaty on the Protection of the Olympic Symbol
- Lisbon Agreement for the Protection of Appellations of Origin
Our practice covers :
- Trademark search in Tunisia
- Filing trademark application in Tunisia
- Tunisian Trademark registration
- International Trademark registration
- Trademark Opposition in Tunisia
- Trademark cancellation
- Trademark assignment in Tunisia
- Trademark license in Tunisia
- Trademark registration changes
- Trademark renewal in Tunisia
- Trademark due diligence in Tunisia
- Trademark protection in Tunisia
- Trademark watching services in Tunisia
- Trademark Portfolio Management in Tunisia
- Customs seizure proceedings in Tunisia
- Trademark infringement