Trademark protection in Tunisia
By the word trademark, we generally mean a ‘brand’ or ‘logo.’ It can be defined as any word, symbol, graphic or sign used by a company or business to distinguish their goods and services from that of the competitors. It provides protection to the goods and services of the business owner from getting copied or being taken advantage of the goodwill of the brand or the company name. Our firm is expert in Trademark protection in Tunisia.
Trademark serves as a valuable asset for business. That’s why it is very important to protect your trademark. Trademark protection in Tunisia and in others Arab countries such Algeria, Morocco, Libya and Mauritania is one of main missions.
As the word suggest, the trademark is a mark that shows the trade of the maker. A trademark serves the purpose of an identity and origin for business. Starting from small to big, every business has their own personalized trademark, which is exclusively designed for them only. A trademark can consist of anything like words, slogans, images, colors, shapes or a combination of all these as a whole. You need to make sure that your trademark is a unique one. Therefore, a lot of brainstorming goes into the making of a company’s trademark. At times, other than the company name or logo, a trademark also conveys some meaning relevant to the goods and services of a company.
Trademark serves as a valuable asset for business. It provides protection to the goods and services of the business owner from getting copied or being taken advantage of the goodwill of the brand or the company name. In order to get the protection of the Tunisian law, a trademark first has to be registered under the Tunisian trademarks law. A registered trademark is required to be renewed from time to time to keep it in force. But, it is important to keep in mind, that not all trademark can be registered under the law. Therefore it is advisable to consult with your Tunisian trademark agent before you make an attempt to register your company’s trademark. When it comes to the registration process, Tunisia has its own set of rules for the protection of its trademarks.
So, how can you get Trademark protection in Tunisia ?
Trademark Protection Law in Tunisia
Like any other country, Tunisia has its own set of rules to protect the trademarks of its country. Though there is not much difference in their law when compared to the other countries, let’s have a quick sneak-peek into the Tunisian trademark law provisions relating to Trademark protection in Tunisia. According to theTrademark Law no. 36 of 2001, it states that:
- The right of ownership is obtained only after registration which stays in effect in for a span of 10 years.
- After the registration of the trademark, the owner gets the power of filing a case against anyone trying to copy his company’s logo or trademark.
- Without the permission of the owner, no person has the right to copy or reproduce and make use of the mark for any purpose.
- The rights of ownership may lapse if the owner doesn’t make use of the trademark for a span of 5 years.
- Any person who tries to copy or reproduce or use the trademark for his own purpose will be penalized and will have to pay a fine between five and fifty thousand dinars.
These are only a few of the important points of the Tunisian Trademarks Law in connection with trademark protection in Tunisia. If you get into the details of it, you will find a lot of other rules and regulations relating to the protection of Tunisian Trademarks. Tunisia takes their trademarks very seriously.
Should you require trademark protection in Tunisia, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are also well positioned to help you with :
- Filing trademark application in Tunisia
- Tunisian Trademark registration
- Trademark opposition in Tunisia
- Trademark infringement
- Trademark due diligence in Tunisia
- Trademark watching services in Tunisia
- Trademark Portfolio Management in Tunisia
- Customs seizure proceedings in Tunisia